Tattoo-People Forums  
After Inked Tattoo Aftercare Lotion with skin healing grape seed oil

Go Back   Tattoo-People Forums > Tattoo & Bod Mod Room > Tattoo Talk

Old 21st July 2009, 05:10 PM

Default Tattoo prices

Hiya,
Still haven't got my budgie tattoo done yet, because it still doesn't look right boo hoo, will get it right eventually lol!
Anyway, have picked another out to get done in the mean time, a lizard with Jim Morrisons face on it.
Went into town to see how much it would cost and my god talk about price differences!
First shop quoated me 140 (shop where I got my last tattoo), next shop quated me 160, not much difference there, only a more "famous" studio.
Next shop quoated me 280 saying they could not make it smaller than the picture I have printed out (that one I walked out the shop laughing)
Next shop, which is where I get my piercings done quoated me only 85.
So why such a difference between prices? Surely they should all be in a similar range? How do I pick which studio to use?
(the tattoo is tribal type, my other two tats aren't, so I can't really go on my last 2 tats for how good it will be)
Fiona
Old 23rd July 2009, 09:35 PM

I would ask to see some of their recent work rather than go on price.
Are you not happy to go back to the place you got your last tattoos done?
My artist does 4 hour sessions and charges 170 per session if that`s any help?
Old 26th July 2009, 09:52 AM

Hi

It varies on the popularity of the artist (skill) or if they think they can scam a newcomer (which you aren't but if no visible ink some will bump prices up).

My artist charges 190 for 3 hours but he is booked for 6 months in advance. he is actually knocking a tenner off each session because I have brought him repeat customers.

The best way is to examine the work done and then decide which one is most right for you and whether you can afford it.

Also if you have been a regular at a studio you may get 'mates rates' because of the business you have already brought them.

Take Care
Matthew
Old 27th July 2009, 09:44 AM

Hiya,
Yes I am more than happy to go back where I got my last tattoo, the only reason I went wandering around other studios was because I only had 125 on me and the tattoo price was 140 (I probably could have sweet talked them into doing it for that, but I am very shy).

I think the reason the woman at the piercing studio might be cheaper is because she works on her own, in a small room, so she obviously doesn't have wages to pay and her rent is probably fairly cheap.
She is fully booked up until the end of August though, so I'm guessing she can't be bad!

Decisions decisions, why do tattoo's have to be so addictive!

Fiona
Old 27th July 2009, 10:35 AM

I think you might be right, overheads on places can bump the prices up but if her studio is small it won`t cost as much.
It`s hard trying to find the right place if money is limited but I am sure it will all come together in the end, you`ll find somewhere and get it done.
If her waiting list is so long that`s a good sign like you say, in fact, sounds like you have already made your mind up without knowing it?
Old 27th July 2009, 04:23 PM

Hi Fiona
My tattoo shop really charges a very reasonable price my large shoulder and then my karge hip piece were only 60 each and the smaller ones have varied from 10-25 I asked at another shop just out of interest how much for my little inner wrist and the quoted 45 and they said also that they couldnt do it at the size I wanted it had to be bigger, but my usual shop did it for 15 at the size I wanted! I say go with word of mouth ask people where they got there tats from, My tattooist shop is not the prettiest but they do a great job! Good luck xx
Old 6th August 2009, 09:26 PM

I am booked in for 2nd September woohoo can't wait!
I think your right Scarlet, I had made my mind up without even knowing (and Ditzy Di's post helped convince me). I really had intended going back where I got my last tattoo, but hey ho, if she turns out well it is going to save me a fortune for future tattoo's.
I came across her myspace page and some of her work is on display there if you all want a nosey
http://www.myspace.com/paulinecbt

Fiona
Old 7th August 2009, 09:19 PM

Good luck Fiona I'm sure it will look great her tattoo's look good, dont foget to post a pic xx
Old 11th August 2009, 10:24 AM

Hiya I think that prices can vary drastically from shop to shop, and as said above basically look at their work first, I know that I would rather pay 280 for work well doe than a lower price for not so good ink xx