Tattoo-People Forums  
After Inked Tattoo Aftercare Lotion with skin healing grape seed oil

Go Back   Tattoo-People Forums > General > Rant & Rave

Old 13th December 2008, 02:41 AM

Send a message via MSN to Slaine
Default Work dress code

I've worked in the same department for around five years and have until recently had no hassle about my tattoos from managers etc but the NHS in its great wisdom has decided to introduce a new dress code policy that is being interpreted by some in a gestapo type manner. In the policy there's a section regarding tattoos which says that any "offensive" tattoos must be covered at all times unless its not practical to the clinical area. Its now becoming common for anyone that shows even smallest portion of a tattoo to be told to wear different clothing that covers it properly. I've even heard that some people have been told if they continue to not cover up properly they'll be disciplined. I always appreciate that in the workplace its important to look proffesional, I wear a smart shirt. trousers etc all the time unless I'm working nights, I do roll my sleeves up a wee bit though because of the amount of times I need to wash my hands through the course of the day and because of that I've been warned that I could get complaints made against me. So the person that arrives at work wearing gear that hasnt even been ironed and looks scruffy as f*** is safe but I get hassle for showing a small part of a tattoo regardless of what I'm wearing. You'd think that these days people would be far more tollerant. You'd also think with all the criticism that the NHS is hit by that those in any positions of power would concentrate more on whether members of staff are actually doing their job properly rather than waste time and effort harrasing people over tattoos. I know loads of people who work in the same hospital as myself that have loads of tattoos - none of which would be seen as offensive by anyone with half an ounce of common sence but we will all have to cover up completely. One manager said that someone from another culture may find any kind of tattoo offensive, that might be the case but I dont think the fact that someone might be offended is good enough reason to be so strict about the enforcement of the policy. I'm probably rambling on a bit here lol - you'd never guess that this has been pissing me off for a while now............
Old 13th December 2008, 11:05 AM

Sigh, Slaine. I was contemplating getting a job in the NHS, which woudl be a clinical role where I will have direct patient contact. The whole naked from elbow down for clinical procedures part stumps me because on the other hand, they probably would want me to cover up my sleeves (I have a Japanese Goddess and I reckon someone might argue that it is religious so therefore can be seen as offensive by some). I have no advice but I agree with you that it is pants.
Old 13th December 2008, 03:08 PM

I am with you on this Slaine I also work for the NHS for me sins! I had an 8 mth gap and has quite abit of tat work done in that time and upon my return to the exact same job with the same people I have been told to cover them up! I spend most of my time looking hot and bothered because the heating is always wacked up on the highest setting whilst some people walk around wearing some really innapropriate outfits skimpy I have to wear long sleeves whatever the weather.
Never mind the fact that I am bloody good at my job so much so that they begged me to go back! so why can they just accept me tat's an all.
Phew that my rant over too!! it bothers me alot to!!
Old 13th December 2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditzy di View Post
I spend most of my time looking hot
Swit woo. I bet you do.
Old 13th December 2008, 05:13 PM

You are not the only one getting this hun, I have been having a lot of problems with a guy at work (I am a depty manager at a care home for adults with Autism) who had allegations of abuse made about him. Basically the guy tried to say that I had made these allegations up because I do not like him however I have never had any kind of problem with him and proved that to my superiors. Not happy with the outcome of the investigations they guy in question attacked my tattoos and piercings branding them insulting to his cultural beliefs and also going as far as to say that he has seen that I have a large swastika tattoo ...... which I do not have! After his accusations were made I was investigated and made to show my line manager all of my tattoos, some of which are in intimate areas might I add, just to prove that I do not have anything that could be classed as racially abusive or offensive. Anyway to get to the point for the benefit of this man who has been proved to be a liar we have had a dress code implemented that surprise surprise only affects myself. So no longer can I wear a short sleeved top or my lip rings! It makes me sad that in under a year I went from being part time relief staff to the deputy manager with no qualifications through sheer hard work and determination and this is the thanks I get for all the work I have done!
I guess you will never be able to change the views of some people but with any luck by the time our children grow up we will live in a society that applauds individuality rather than discouraging it!
Faye xxx
Old 13th December 2008, 05:42 PM

That is shit. So what even if you did have a swastika tattooed on you, if it was not showing then what is the matter? (I can go into reasons why I don't think that swastikas are offensive but that is another story). I think it is bordering on sexual harassment that you are asked to show your tattoos,surely this is an infringement of human rights? if the tattoos are where clothes would normally cover them, then what has it got to do with them?
Old 13th December 2008, 06:46 PM

I agree - no way should you have had to show any tats that would normally be covered whether they were offensive or not.
Old 14th December 2008, 05:20 PM

That must be pretty annoying dude, just keep fighting them about it, or find a new job heh.
Old 15th December 2008, 04:44 PM

I'm almost tempted to wear something really ridiculous to cover my sleeve now to see how long it takes for someone to complain about it. Does anyone know if you can get rainbow coloured tubygrip? hehe

Someone pointed me in the direction of this site http://www.tatjacket.com - I've heard that their product only covers light tats and under bright light most things still show through

Last edited by Slaine; 15th December 2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 15th December 2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine View Post

Someone pointed me in the direction of this site http://www.tatjacket.com - I've heard that their product only covers light tats and under bright light most things still show through
Really? That's a bummer. Someone recommended Veil to me, which is this tattoo concealing cream, it is water resistant apparently but I really don't fancy having to cover my whole arm with the stuff when I am working.