Tattoo-People Forums  
After Inked Tattoo Aftercare Lotion with skin healing grape seed oil

Go Back   Tattoo-People Forums > General > Discuss Anything You Want

Old 11th January 2009, 10:11 PM

Default Feeling Bad

Ok I don't normally spill my family issues but as I am the only one with tattoos in my family (and this is tattoo related) - I thought maybe I could get opinion.

My brother died when I was 16 so I was left to help raise my nephew as part of my own family. (He does look at me as a father figure).

He has just turned 18 and announced he was going to get a tattoo. I was ok have you thought about what you want to get?

He basically wants some 'Gangsta' type tattoo of a smoking gun and 'Game Over' beneath it.

His mother (who I don't see eye to eye with) started screaming he is not getting a tattoo. I tried to defuse it by saying we cannot stop him - so lets try and make sure he gets a clean and good one.

I said get a tattoo but dont get some shite you will regret later on in life. His reply was that as an adult he can do what he likes and since I am not his father who the f**k am I to stop him.

Needless to say that hurt (a lot) and I stupidly told him did he think that at 16 I wanted to bring him up because my brother was dumb enough to get sparked which left him round my neck and his damn mother who I can't stand. etc etc

I feel really bad I did not mean it I just lashed out verbally because he hurt my feelings. I feel really petty as all I wanted him was to think about what he does.

All of this is over some stupid tattoo idea. Should I just sit back and let him get it?

Step in and try to entice him with another design?

Have any of you had this with your children and tattooing?

Well at least I feel better for getting it off my chest.

Matthew
Old 12th January 2009, 12:17 AM

difficult situation i dont really no what to tell you i dont think anyone can really, if he is going to get it he will get it i think the best thing u can do is try and help him decide on a really good design but it is his choice as its him it will be on for the rest fo his life. sorry i know thats not very helpful. and everyone argues im sure once u have a talk to him and tell him you didnt really mean anything you said it will be fine, good luck x
Old 12th January 2009, 07:40 PM

I can see why you lashed out like that we all say things we regret in the heat of the moment and I'm sure your nephew is regreting what he said too, I think all you can do is stand back but let him know you are there for him if he needs it, and if he does get a really crap tattoo which he may well do, just be there for him when he is looking for a cover up a few years down the line. We all think we know it all at that age and it's not until you are older that you look back and think bugger I really should have listened to my elders xx Hang in there I'm sure it will all settle down xx
Old 13th January 2009, 07:35 PM

Thanks Peeps

I had a long chat with him this afternoon - sneaked off work and took him to the pub. He admitted that he misses the fact he never got to meet his dad and I told him I also miss my brother very much.

With regards to the tattoo he has had some second thoughts and said it was more peer pressure to get that style.

We are currently working on a dragon style tattoo which he seems to be more taken with.

Appreciate the support and glad it is smoothing over.

Matthew
Old 13th January 2009, 10:17 PM

That is great news and how nice you can help him with his tattoo, I cant wait till my son is older as he is desperate for a tattoo I will be there with him when he gets his, shame he's only 7!!! only 11 years to go ;O)
Old 14th January 2009, 12:18 AM

aw thats so great! im glad you worked it out
Old 20th January 2009, 02:05 PM

What will be, will be cuz. sit back, chill and be there when he needs someone to talk to.
Old 21st July 2010, 05:50 AM

it hapens pal !!
it certainly does!!
when you're passionate about having something and your family is passionate about you not having that thing !!!

its upto you to choose,
who matters more for you !!

regards !!
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:34 PM

Good to hear everythig is ok now Sherav. I hope that dragon symbolizes a step forward in your relationship with your nephew. Good luck man...